Miami Valley Fire/EMS Alliance
IAFF/IAFC Candidate Physical Ability Test/CPAT
SEE: CALENDAR for specific dates of availability
Registration: Send an email to Robert Hogeland, CPAT Administrator, Miami Valley Fire/EMS Alliance: firstname.lastname@example.org or Valerie Tate: email@example.com.
CPAT Coordinator, Rob Hogeland 937-673-1056
Miami Valley Fire EMS Alliance Office 937-512-5103
Email must include:
1. Your name as you want it on your CPAT Certificate
2. Your mailing address
3. Your cell phone number
4. The date you would like to start the CPAT process
START TIMES AND DIRECTIONS: The CPAT warehouse is open, set up, and ready to begin at 0800. You have until 0930 to arrive. Candidates are placed on a first-come; first-serve order. Candidates planning on attending an Orientation should be at the CPAT warehouse by 0800. If you are arriving after 0800, please confirm approximate time of arrival with CPAT Coordinator, Rob Hogeland at 937-673-1056. If you arrive later than 0930 there is no guarantee the building will be open and staffed. Please remember, Orientation begins at 0800 and will not be repeated that day.
The CPAT building is located inside the Kettering Business Park. Access the Business Park on Forrer Blvd. Take the first right, which is Paine St., follow that until it dead ends into Monroe St. The building (#2) is directly across the street and the access door is marked with a CPAT sign. For GPS use 950 Forrer Blvd., Kettering, OH 45420. The CPAT warehouse does not have an address, but you will see Monroe St. on your GPS.
Payment: NO PERSONAL CHECKS, NO CREDIT CARDS, AND NO CASH WILL BE ACCEPTED. NO EXCEPTIONS! A CERTIFIED CHECK OR MONEY ORDER OF $150.00 MUST BE PAID ON THE DAY YOU ARRIVE TO BEGIN YOUR CPAT PROCESS. THE CPAT ADMINISTRATOR WILL COLLECT THE PAYMENT. IF YOU DON’T PAY, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE CPAT COURSE, NO EXCEPTIONS. CERTIFIED CHECKS OR MONEY ORDERS SHOULD BE MADE OUT TO: MVFEA .
The same rules apply for re-certification. The certified check or money order should be made payable to MVFEA for $60.00. You must provide a current copy (dated within one year of certification) of the CPAT Certificate. You may email a copy to CPAT Coordinator Rob Hogeland at firstname.lastname@example.org or bring the certificate on the test date.
Orientation and Pre-test Requirements:
The CPAT process is highly regulated. This document serves as a notification to inform the candidates of the expectations and requirements of the CPAT Exam. CPAT was developed to create a fair method, allowing fire departments to obtain a diverse pool of candidates who are physically capable of performing the tasks required. The second edition of the CPAT requirements reflects the experiences of U.S. and Canadian fire departments to implement the comprehensive CPAT program. In 2006, the following orientation and pre-test procedures were implemented after a conciliation agreement with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC):
• All candidates will attend at least two (2) mandatory orientation sessions within an eight (8) week period prior to the official CPAT Exam. During the orientation session, they will receive hands-on familiarity with the actual CPAT apparatus. Candidate may voluntarily attend up to one additional orientation session. Please remember, Orientation begins at 0800 and will not be repeated that day.
• Within 30 days prior to the CPAT Exam, all candidates will perform at least two (2) practice runs using official CPAT apparatus. During the practice runs, candidates can take as much time as necessary to complete the entire course.
• A candidate may waive all the fore-mentioned program components and be eligible to participate in a CPAT Exam. Such a waiver shall only be acceptable if it is in writing, and is made with full knowledge of test elements, and on a voluntary basis. The waiver will be provided in the CPAT Candidate paperwork at the CPAT classroom.
• During the orientations and practice runs; CPAT trained Proctors will be present to help candidates understand the test elements and how to improve their physical performance and conditioning prior to taking the test.
• All candidates must sign the paperwork in classroom prior to going out on the course. Candidates who have not signed a waiver MUST be at the Orientation and Practice Sessions. Failure to complete signing of the waiver or required sessions, the candidate will not be allowed to test.
• The Alliance does not interfere with the hiring practices of different communities. Some hiring practices require an Orientation and the candidate must know the prospective department’s requirements.
CPAT candidates are required to wear long pants to the ankle of any style, a closed heel and toe shoe. Helmet, gloves, and weighted vests will be provided. Required clothing is necessary anytime when using CPAT props and equipment. Athletic shoes are acceptable. Candidates without appropriate footwear or apparel will NOT be allowed to practice or test.